Sunday, September 17

Protein Shakes, Variants

All recipe threads are backdated to prevent interference with current blogging.

Since there are near-infinite variations on things like protein drinks, mock danishes, flax bread, etc. I've decided to make one thread for each major food and then just note the variants as I experiment with them.

SHAKES I REALLY LIKED

Strawberry Cinnamon Brown Sugar Protein Shake Intensely strawberry, and very sweet, this is more a dessert than anything. But with this combo of ingredients I didn't taste the protein powder enough to bug me, for the first time ever. Hours later, the 'cloying sweet' bugged me but during the eating experience it was nearly candy-like but cool.

Strawberry Cinnamon Brown Sugar Protein Shake

1/2 cup soy milk, 1/2 cup water, 6 ice cubes
3 frozen strawberries
2 scoops Designer Whey Protein, Strawberry
1-2 Tbsp DaVinci strawberry syrup
some "brown sugar" extract-flavoring
maybe 1/2 tsp of cinnamon

I think a tad more cinnamon and even a little nutmeg wouldn't go wrong. But it was good. The miniscule amount of protein powder that my picky taste buds could discern underneath all that strawberry overkill didn't bother me.


OTHER SHAKES I'VE TRIED




Soy Milk + Designer Whey Protein, Strawberry

1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup water
6 ice cubes
2 scoops Designer, Strawberry
Blenderized.

That was actually not bad. I detest protein powder and hiding the taste in a shake seems almost impossible, but the strawberry seemed to "mute" the flavor much more than the chocolate peanut butter caramel flavor did. Of course I used some soy instead of the almond stuff, too.

Soy Milk + Designer Whey Protein, Chocolate

Same as above but Chocolate flavor. I didn't like it so much, I could taste

Soy Milk + Designer Whey Protein, French Vanilla

Same as above, a little lemon and a little banana. Bleah. Maybe I should have done no lemon and more banana.

Almond Breeze + Designer Whey Protein, Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel

1 cup Almond Breeze, chocolate
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
6 ice cubes
2 scoops Designer, Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel
1 Tbsp DaVinci, chocolate
2 strawberries
Blenderized.

Eh. I could still taste too much of the 'protein powder' taste for my liking, although I admit the first drink or two were the worst; the drinks after that didn't seem so bad, maybe I adapted. It seeemed to mimic the effect I got from the almond stuff, which was like "a great chocolate flavor but added to water instead of milk". Will have to try this again using soymilk.

No comments: