Friday, October 6

Zucchini Cobbler

Lowcarb is a never-ending source of culinary surprise. I detest cauliflower, but chicken fried cauli (aka mock chinese chicken fried rice) is astoundingly good. And I detest Zucchini, but zucchini cobbler (aka mock apple cobbler/pie) is astoundingly good as well. There are other things I haven't tried. But so far, I'm really impressed with how a lot of veggies I never would have thought of using, turn out to be not only 'good replacements' but quite awesome on their own merits. And usually healthier and vastly more lowcarb.

Everybody on the thread where I found this recipe said it tasted just like apple pie. "Suuuuure," I thought to myself, remembering the old recipes where everyone swore that crushed pork rinds with cinnamon were SO yummy. (Bleagh!)

But I'm trying to be kind to the husband to maintain a decent environ since we have Issues at the moment, and apple pie is his fave, so I figured my first dessert ought to start with that.

It's unbelievable. I swear I had a hard time believing that the zucchini would ever truly end up tasting like apple, but damn if it didn't. I think the reality is that maybe zucchini (cooked first with lemon) and apple might not have a whole bunch of taste on their own, so the sweeteners and spices flavor whatever is there. In any case, this came out REALLY GOOD! We were all surprised, haha.

Guess what I am growing in the garden next year. :-)

Zucchini Cobbler

The original thread/contributor and where I waxed on about it is here.

I doubled the filling, as many had commented about that.

3-1/2 cups zucchini - peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp (5 Tbsp total) fresh lemon juice (I used TrueLemon and water)
1/2 cup sugar-equivalent (I used a mix of splenda, eyrthritol, and diabetisweet which is isomalt and Ace-K)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon *
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg *
* I used 1 teaspoon of "apple pie spice" instead (has those + some allspice)

Put the zucchini and lemon juice in a medium saucepan with lid. Cook covered over medium heat stirring occasionally. Cook around 10 minutes or until the zucchini are very tender/soft.

Stir in the sweetener and spice, cook for about a minute more, then remove from heat and set aside till you're ready for it.

1-1/3 cups carbquik (you could use other meal/flour-ish combos here)
1/2 cup equivalent of sweetener (I used the same as noted above)
1/2 cup butter, chilled (if it's TOO chilled this is a bit of a pain...)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice.)

Heat oven to 375.

We used ramekins but you can use a 9x9 baking dish if you prefer. Spray it with nonstick stuff.

Mix the flour-ishes and sweetener, then gradually cut in butter until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir half the mixture into the filling in the saucepan. Press the rest of it, minus a little you save for the topping, into your cooking dish(es). Pour in filling, and then top with the crumbles that remain. Sprinkle with a little more cinnamon if you wish.

Bake for around 25-40 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let cool a bit.

We had some extra filling. It'll rock over ice cream.

I really recommend this!

9 comments:

Sweet Tart said...

Would the filling taste good on it's own? I don't usually do the fake-flour or ice cream thing, but I was thinking maybe it would be good warm with a bit of whipped cream.

I think I'm going to have to try this one.

Anonymous said...

I bet it's all in the filling! I care nothing for flour-type items anymore, nor ice cream, but whipped cream....oh yeah! I've seen other versions of this recipe but never tried it because they all called for some sugar-free apple cider mix; not so easy to find. I may try this now! Sounds like a good dessert item for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the recipe.

PJ said...

The filling on its own is great! But remember that in this recipe, half the flourish stuff went INTO the filling and I'm sure it thickened it. So you might want to use some ground hazelnuts or almonds and a little ThickNThin or something that in some way adds to the thickening of the filling.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and it was GREAT! I'll put this one on my holiday menu, for sure. Do you have a carb count for this? I'm thinking it might be a bit high, with all the splenda and flour-type stuff, but I'd love to know for sure.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I would have to calculate it to figure it out. I would use sweetzfree and fiberfit as much as possible instead of Splenda, to minimize carbs. Also next time I would probably use less of the flour-type stuff like carbquik, and probably a combination of a little almond flour and some ThickNThin "NOTstarch" (a mix of gums) to thicken it. Glad you liked it. I was pretty amazed. I liked the idea of being able to come up with a version of just-filling, that one could stick in the fridge, and then dump a few spoons on a mock danish in the morning. -- PJ

Anonymous said...

Glad I found this, it tasted great. I peeled and scraped out the seeds of three large zucchini...and since I was a little chicken, I sliced up one apple (added about a few carbs per serving). It is excellent! Thank you! I went half carbquick and half almond flour.

Carol

frequentlyshe said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. Tried it yesterday & it's delicious!!

Anonymous said...

This needs a picture so it can be pinned on Pinterest

Anonymous said...

This is a delicious recipe, my family loved it! Thanks so much for sharing it!